Transcribing for 30 days, everyday (almost but not quite)!

On the 1st of March, 2012 I started on a new 30 day challenge to kick start my data preparation process into high gear by setting what I thought was an attainable goal:  transcribe for 15 minutes a day, for 30 days (see original blog post HERE).  I found for the first 2 weeks, I was pretty much spot on, going everyday for at least 15 minutes, if not more!  Then with teaching/admin/deadlines creeping up, I found that making this a priority became a challenge, mostly because I really hate (repeat, hate) transcribing.  Looking over my stats during the last 2 weeks, it was clear that this 30 day challenge wasn’t going to be that great of a success, based on the number of days I missed.

What I found the most interesting this time around was I managed to quickly get into my data and as I began to finish transcribing whole interviews, the process of how I wanted to analysis of my data was becoming clearer.  Not clear, but clearer in the sense that I was beginning to see the connections across the different cases (i.e. this is more relevant to P1 and P3 but less so in P4).  Moving forward, I find that I can find the time to transcribe every week and I’m aiming to finish the last of my transcription pile by the end of May (this year).

Thanks for reading and please leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.